May 05, 2014
Grilled Artichoke with Green Olive Dip
Posted in: Mediterranean Diet
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. chopped green olives
- 1 tbsp. drained capers
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 6 artichokes
- 1 tablespoon plus
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus 2 tbsp. more juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a blender, puree flat-leaf parsley, extra-virgin olive oil, chopped green olives, drained capers, fresh lemon juice, Dijon mustard, freshly ground black pepper, and salt until coarsely pureed.
- Slice tops off artichokes, pull off small outer leaves, trim stems, and snip off thorny tips.
- In a large pot, bring 1 to 2 inches water to a boil.
- Add 1 tbsp. salt, juice of 1 lemon, and artichokes; cover and steam until artichoke bottoms pierce easily, 20 to 40 minutes, depending on their size. Drain artichokes.
- When cool enough to handle, cut each in half lengthwise and scrape out fuzzy center.In a small bowl, combine garlic, oil, remaining 2 tbsp. lemon juice and 1/2 tsp. salt, and the pepper.
- Brush artichokes with garlic mixture.Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct medium heat (about 350F).
- Grill artichokes, turning once, until lightly browned, 8 to 11 minutes. Serve with olive dip.