Memorial Day weekend is approaching and there’s a good chance that whatever your plans are, they are going to involve a grill, and probably a few hot dogs as well. Hot dogs are one of the perennial sticking points of the food world. To some, they’re a distinctly American staple (by way of Germany) that’s as much a part of summer as baseball or realizing you need a new air conditioner, while others find them, well… less appetizing. Love them or hate them, hot dogs are a fact of the season, and in our opinion it’s less about the dog itself and more about what goes on it, after all you couldn’t have a Chicago Dog without pickles, tomatoes and onions, or a Texas Dog (originally from Pennsylvania) without chili con carne and cheese.
To make our own trademark hot dog toppings we chopped up some tangy, spicy and crisp Divina Pickled Products into three homemade relishes. Each of these relishes offers its own distinct and irresistible flavor. The Carrots are smoky and sweet, Snap Peas are spicy and fresh and the Okra is zesty and fiery. Try each of them and see which one will be your go-to summer hot dog topper, or mix and match!
- 1 cup Pickled Carrots, Snap Peas or Okra with brine
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chop your desired pickle (Carrots, Snap Peas or Okra) and mix with mustards, herbs, and sugar
- Thin with some brine and season to taste
- Serve over grilled sausage, hot dogs, brats or other grilled meats or vegetables