- 2 whole eggplants (cubed)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup dried currants or raisins
- 3/4 cup EVOO
- 3 stalks (diced) celery
- 1 medium (chopped) yellow onion
- 4 filets anchovies
- 28 ounce can whole, peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted green olives, halved (Castelvetrano or Frescatrano)
- 2 tbsp capers
- Toss the eggplant with some salt in a colander and set aside for an hour to drain the liquid
- Toss the currants or raisins with the vinegar and sugar in a bowl until plumped
- Heat 1/2 cup of the EVOO in a large pan and brown the eggplant (around 10 minutes). Remove and pat dry.
- Add the remaining EVOO to the pot and add cook the celery and onions until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in the anchovies, capers, tomatoes, currants/raisins, eggplant, and olives. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Cool and refrigerate for up to a full week!